With the most romantic day of the year upon us, the PlentyOfFish Research team wanted to understand where the most romantic singles live across the country and how they compare to each other state by state.
The team processed the interests data of 5 million US singles to determine which states and cities are the most romantic in the country in comparison to the national average. The most romantic places were determined by the percentage of singles within that region who list interests like ‘romance’, ‘long walks on the beach’, ‘cuddling by the fire’, (and thousands of other romantic phrases) on their PlentyOfFish profiles.
What did they discover? Southeastern states are by far the least romantic and this trend spreads far and wide. Florida is the only state in the Southeast that escapes this trend. The Northwest and pockets of the Northeast host some of the most romantic states in the country. Michigan is the most romantic state in the country and Vermont is a close second.
Here are the findings from the PlentyOfFish analysis:
- Single US Women are on average 36% more romantic than than their single male counterparts.
- Washington DC is the only state in the country where men are more romantic than women. DC women are 38% less romantic than the national average.
- Single women who live in large cities are much less romantic than their rural and suburban female counterparts.
- Michigan is the Most Romantic state in the country. Michigan singles are 55% more romantic than the national average.
- Single Men in the state of New York are 12% more romantic than the national average.
- Single men in Michigan are 74% more romantic than the national average.
- Louisiana is the least romantic state. Singles in Louisiana are 25% less romantic than the national average.
Top 10 Romantic US States
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
City Specific Findings
- Single women who live in large cities are much less romantic than their rural and suburban female counterparts. In fact, among the 50 largest cities in the US, women were between 5% and 50% less romantic than the national average.
- Portland is the most romantic city in the country. Single men in Portland are 51% more romantic than the national male average.
- El Paso is the least romantic city in the US. Single women in El Paso are 52% less romantic than the female national average.
- Women in NYC are 32% less romantic than the female national average but they are still 22% more romantic than their male counterparts.
*Sample size based on 5 million US singles. As compared to the national average.
Top Romantic Interests listed on profiles
Cuddling by the fire
Walks on the beach
Star gazing/Starry Nights
Sunday morning coffee
Hot chocolate in winter