Photos in online dating profiles offer a glimpse into who people are, what they are passionate about, how they spend their time and how they like to present themselves to the world.
Unfortunately, many people use less than flattering photos in their online dating profile and they may not even know they’re doing it! Much like a resume, an online dating profile should be polished, well thought-out, succinct and tell a story about oneself. These are some of the most common mistakes I’ve seen people make with their online dating photos:
- Not including yourself in photos. Do not use a photo of a pet, travels or artwork as your main image. If you want to show you have a dog, great, but make sure you too are in the photo.
- Using too few or too many photos. Variety is everything, ideally you want to have around 3 to 6 photos that show different aspects of yourself.
- Not labeling photos with a caption. Making people play guess who in your photos is frustrating. Sure group photos make you look like you have friends, but your date doesn’t need to see your whole wolf pack.
- Using old photos. Stick with photos less than 3 years old and that look like you i.e. current haircut, current hair color, current facial hair etc.
- Using artistic photos. Avoid the silhouette photo and the neck down pool side photo. This doesn’t give your potential match anything to go off of.
- Photos that are too small, blurry or taken from a far distance. The quality of your photo is important. It shows you’ve put time and car into capturing some great photos.
- Selfies. Ask a friend or ask a stranger to take that photo of you rather than standing in front of your bathroom mirror flexing.
- Using stiff, staged portraits i.e. headshots or modeling photos. These are often lifeless and make people question if you will look like your photos in real life.
- Photos with sunglasses. Take off the sunglasses so people can actually see how beautiful your eyes are.
- Lack of smiles. Online dating photos should never be too serious. Smiling is extremely attractive. Show off those pearly whites.
When it comes to online dating photos there is a saying: “individuals are only as attractive and inviting as their worst photo.” When deciding what photos to use or how to take better ones, use photos that show a friendly side, be authentic and more than anything – relax.
Think to yourself: Would you want to date the person if he/she had the same photo in their profile? Ask for feedback when in doubt and focus on quality of photos vs volume. Test out a few photos to see how they do for you and update every couple of months!
If you are using a dating app, you obviously want to get noticed by the right people. The first thing anyone is going to notice about you is your profile photo, so you want to make sure that yours is one that is going to actually get noticed, and by the people who you really want to notice it. Creating a great dating profile photo involves a lot more than simply snapping a quick photo on your phone and posting it, or recycling an older photo. You need something that is new and that gives the best first impression. With that in mind, here are seven tips for creating an awesome online dating profile photo.
- Flash a Smile – You are trying to attract someone, and you aren’t going to do that if you are looking serious in your profile photo. Flash those pearly whites, and show a bit of your flirtatious side. People are going to be more attracted to you when you look happy. Don’t use your professional profile photo, as this is just too serious when you are trying to attract a new love interest.
- Use Color – Black and white photos look cool, but when you are trying to attract someone, it is best to use full color in your profile photos. If you love to wear bright colors, this is your time to shine, and show off your personality in your photo. Make the colors pop, and your profile photo is really going to stand out and get noticed. If you prefer neutral colors, make sure that you choose a colorful background.
- Upgrade Your iPhone – You are likely using your iPhone to take your profile photo. If you have an older phone, it may not have the greatest camera, so it may be time to upgrade to a new iPhone. Sell iPhone, and upgrade to a newer model that has a better camera with more features so you can create a really great profile photo that is going to get noticed.
- Show Your Personality – Don’t just give them a head and shoulders photo. Use a photo that shows them who you really are. For instance, if you are a musician, use a photo that shows you playing an instrument. If you play a sport, use a photo with you in action. Remember, you can have more than one photo on your profile, so use a variety to show the many facets of your personality.
- Focus on You – Some people use profile photos that focus on something other than themselves. We are not sure why anyone would want to do this, seeing as how they are trying to attract a new romantic partner. Make sure that your profile photo focuses on you, and that there aren’t a lot of other things in the photo to distract potential dates from what they should be focused on, you.
- Use Various Shots – A potential love interest is going to want to see more than just your face. Your profile should include a variety of photos, including medium and full-body shots. That way, they get to see all of you, and there are not going to be any surprises when they meet you in person for the first time.
- Don’t Use Group Shots – You are supposed to be the main focus in your profile photos, so why would you want to use a shot that has other people in it? Don’t use group photos, and don’t use a photo that you have simply Photoshopped other people out of. Take a new photo of yourself without anyone else in the shot.