If you’re gearing up for our World’s Largest Virtual Speed Dating event on Sunday, September 20th then this post is going to come in handy for you. Having been a host of live Speed Dating events in the past, I know A LOT about the topic. When I spoke with singles before any event, they were most worried about having a good conversation and keeping it flowing with their date. That’s the beauty of speed dating though, you only have 90 seconds to get to know the person in front of you and it goes by a lot quicker than you expect it to. Another bonus, you don’t actually have to leave your house and walk into a room full of strangers. You get to speed date with singles from around the world in the comfort of your own home.
We’ve put together a list of things to keep in mind before you hop into the World’s Largest Virtual Speed Dating event this Sunday.
- Keep the conversation light and fun but don’t be afraid to dive deep. Yes, you’ve just met this person – but it’s okay to go beyond small talk! You’re trying to get a good idea of who this person is quickly so it’s okay to ask questions that feel important to you.
- Dress to impress, first impressions are super important when it comes to speed dating. Lucky for you it’s virtual, so if you want to dress up your top half and leave the sweatpants on the bottom, that is OK.
- Ask pointed questions, vague questions will often lead to a dead end conversation. Don’t be afraid to prep some in advance, but it’s also helpful to ask specific questions about each unique person.
- Don’t feel shy or embarrassed- everyone is here for the same reason as you are – lean into it and embrace the beauty of the speed date.
- Be ready to talk about yourself. Speed dating is all about giving the other person a good idea of who you are in a short period of time. Now is not the time for “I don’t know” answers to questions, you know yourself – now it’s time to have others get to know you too.
- It’s okay to say no. This is the beauty of speed dating. You’re not going to want to marry everyone you talk to, and you might not even want to talk to them again, and that’s okay! Just be honest.
- Don’t be afraid to break the ice – you’re allowed to acknowledge the weirdness or the situation and making a quick joke or silly comment before getting into it can often make both parties feel more at ease
- Read the (virtual) room – some people love to flirt it up right away, some would rather have a casual conversation, some people are super sarcastic, some are much more serious. Pay attention to the vibe of the person you’re talking to and play off their energy.
- Be yourself. You won’t love everyone, and everyone won’t love you – that’s okay! The most important thing is that you stay true to who you are throughout the process as this will give you the best chance of finding that special someone who’s right for you
- Confidence is key. You’re awesome and you know it (even if it’s deep down) – own the qualities you love about yourself and don’t be afraid to show off a little
- Say a proper goodbye. You don’t have much time, and often your conversation can end abruptly, but keeping an eye on how much time you have left to ensure you tell that person how great it was to meet them can leave a really lasting impression.
- Don’t forget to listen. It’s easy to spend your whole time with someone thinking about what you’re going to say next, but don’t forget to actually listen to what your date’s saying too. Live in the moment.
General Questions You Can Use to Get the Convo Flowing:
- Are you into music? What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to?
- Do you have a favorite movie or TV show? (aka what are you binging on Netflix these days?)
- What’s your biggest passion?
- Where do you hope to be in 5 years?
- What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done?
- Are you a cat or dog person? Or neither?
- What’s your favorite memory?
- What’s something upcoming that you’re excited for?
If you’re still feeling those pre-date jitters, I suggest you read this blog post here.