Nothing spoils your plans to create a real connection online like a fake profile. POF is filled with tons of very real, very amazing people, but the reality is, things can sometimes get a little shady in the online world.
Along with dick pics, cheesy pick up lines and cringey DMs, cat fishing is something we all hope to dodge while online dating. For anyone who doesn’t know, this term came from a 2010 documentary that followed a guy who formed a relationship with a woman who didn’t exist. Brutal, right?
We’ve rolled out our Selfie Verification tool to help you feel safe and to avoid getting into that situation altogether. We want you to focus on landing dates, not worrying about if someone is in fact, a real person.
Verifying your account not only helps us confirm you’re legit, it also tells other POF singles that you’re the real deal. When people can trust who you say you are, you’re more likely to make better connections. Here’s how Selfie Verification works:
- Head to your profile, under My Account tap Manage Account. You’ll see an option to verify your profile, once you hit the verify option you’ll be brought to the verification homepage.
- On the verification homepage, hit Verify to get a quick overview of our verification process. Hit Continue, then give your consent on the next screen by tapping Verify Me. If you don’t have camera access enabled for the POF app, you’ll be prompted to update that now.
- Once your camera is enabled, you’ll see a video frame pop up. Our system will take a hot minute to determine you are who you say you are, so hold tight. If there’s a match between your video selfie and your profile photo, you’ll see a screen that says Success! This is where you earn that verified check on your profile.
- Dang you didn’t get a match, what’s next? Just try again! PS: Don’t worry about looking selfie-ready for this process. The scan of your video selfie only gets used to verify who you are and will never live on your profile (learn more with our Selfie FAQ).
A few other things to know before you start verifying:
- You’ll need a primary profile pic to compare your video selfie to for verification
- Heads up—when you update your primary profile photo, you will need to re-verify yourself
- If you ever want to remove your verification status, just delete or change that primary profile pic
- We’ll never force you to verify yourself and it’s not a necessary step to create a profile, but in this weird & wacky world, it’s probably a good idea
- You know how when you see that coveted blue check on Instagram you think to yourself, ‘now that person’s legit,’ that’s what our verified profile status signals to POF singles
Have any questions about verifying your profile? Our Customer Success team has got you. Submit a support ticket and they’ll get you sorted ASAP!