Finding your person is getting pricy—we’re here to help
Every year we identify the top 2023 dating trends in the US to find out what’s really on singles’ minds. Along with Eco-Dumping and James-Webbing, Infla-Dating is trending and changing the way you’re thinking about dating.
So, what’s infla-dating?
Infla-Dating (in-fla-dayt-ing): Going on less expensive dates due to inflation and the current economic environment.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably noticed that life is getting expensive AF. It’s not just gas and groceries that are hitting your wallet, it’s dates too. Our recent study showed that nearly half of Millennials & GenZs have suggested going on a less expensive, more budget-friendly date to help keep our bank accounts in check.
Here’s how this shakes out in real life:
“I stocked up on groceries this week, mind if we infla-date and go for a walk instead of getting drinks?”
“You down to infla-date? I don’t get paid until next week”
Inflation stress is real, but we don’t want it to get in the way of you finding your person. So we’ve put together some of our favorite budget-friendly infla-dates that are romantic, fun and best of all, won’t make you cry yourself to sleep. Some of these will feel more natural for a first date, while others might have more of a second (or tenth) date vibe. Pick what feels right and let the sparks fly:
- Go for a walk and try out a food truck
- Browse a bookstore
- Pack a picnic and skip the hefty restaurant bill
- Visit a museum—lots have free or discounted admission days
- Go thrifting or antiquing
- Catch a sunset or take in a beautiful view together—make sure to pack a bottle of wine and a blanket if you really want to set the mood
- Go bowling
- Get ice cream
- Have a wine ‘n cheese night
- Hit a dive bar for cheap drinks and a game of pool or darts
- Find a local trail and go for a hike
- Stay in and try a new recipe together
- Go for a bike ride
- See an outdoor concert
- Go to a drive-in movie
Looking for some festive date ideas? We got you:
- Grab a coffee and go for a walk/drive to check out Christmas light displays
- Visit a local Christmas tree farm
- Have a holiday baking day
- Get cozy and have some bevies by the fire
- Go snowshoeing or ice skating
Dating in the season of gift giving can also be a huge financial stress. Talking budgets with someone you’re dating can be awkward and oftentimes people end up overspending. A POF study showed that in light of the recent impacts of inflation, 69% of singles are planning on spending less this holiday season and 38% of singles actually prefer the gift of quality time over an expensive material gift. So why not do yourself a favor and take the pressure off yourself (and your wallet) and give one of these thoughtful, low-cost gift ideas this year:
- Write them a classic love note
- Curate a playlist just for them
- Print and frame a favorite photo of you two together
- Pamper them with an at-home spa day—massage coupon anyone?
- Make them breakfast in bed
- Give them a houseplant or a bouquet—if they’re not prone to killing things
- Bake them cookies
- Wine is the gift that’s never re-given
Here’s to a holiday season filled with great dates that don’t break the bank!