We all know that a great first impression may land you the job but what about a second date? I can not stress enough how important the first seven seconds of any encounter is whether it be online, face to face or the dreaded parent introduction. This is your time to shine; that moment where you can burst through the doors knowing full well you aced the test. It is rare that you will ever get a second chance to make a great first impression. If you have ever been one to fumble or fall flat on the initial “hello,” please do yourself a favor and read the following.
How to make a great first impression….
- A tasteful profile picture. Keep your shirt on and smile, this is not a mug shot.
- Proof read your first message three times over, like your grade school teacher is perched on your shoulder. And for the love of god never include the word f*ck.
- Send a thoughtful first message in which you reference back to your match’s profile. This will show that you have taken the time to actually read what they had to say.
FACE TO FACE INTERACTION
- Be attentive and on time! Late on a first date is the epitome of saying “I really don’t respect your time or care to be on this date.”
- Wear your most fashion forward outfit. Change out of the stained sweatpants that you just fiercely sweated in at the gym.
- Subtleties in your body language. No one wants a Touchy Tom or Salacious Sally.
MEET THE PARENTS
- Firm handshake and look them in the eye, just like you did in that job interview. You’re on your way to getting the stamp of approval.
- Make yourself useful and always offer to help where you can. If you are tall and strong, grab the salad bowl off the highest shelf. You have officially won over mom.
- Every parent wants you to love their daughter or son as much as they do. Don’t be Mr. Roboto. It’s okay to show your love and affection, but make sure these are small gestures. No PDA I repeat No PDA.