So you want to get your profile noticed? You want to know more about trending styles for your pics? Keep reading for the profile tips to make them click!
Starting Your Profile
As someone who’s recently just downloaded the app and created a Plenty of Fish profile, the first question I asked myself, “what do you really want and who do you want to attract?” If you want someone that’s genuinely interested in you, you’re going to want to complete your profile in a way that shows the real you. But how do you do that? Well, the first step might be quite obvious. You’re going to need to share the right profile pictures. We naturally are drawn to someone’s photos first so let’s make sure that your cover photo and the rest of your photos are on point.
When taking new a pic or choosing one for your cover photo, you should look to include a picture of you with a bright, genuine, and natural smile. Try to have a muted and natural background so that it is not too busy and it doesn’t take away from glorious, brilliant you! It doesn’t hurt to try experimenting with different angles and poses too! If you’re taking a selfie, try to keep your selfie arm out of the frame for the best results.
When planning how many pics to add to your profile, you want to include at least 5 to 7 pics. Try to have a couple clear shots of your face and then pick some others that will give your audience a sense of what you’re all about. If you’re a nature person, throw a hiking picture in there! Do you have a dog? Who doesn’t want to see a selfie with a dog in it? Another word of advice, stretched out limbs help to show that you are active and friendly, so be sure to take up some filler space in your photo by raising your arms or stretching out your legs! If you’re really feeling adventurous, you can upgrade your membership and upload up to 16 photos, even more ways to show who you are!
When writing your headline, keep it light and fun. You can try asking a question or include a couple descriptors, like “avid hiker, baker and dog lover”. You want to keep it short but also show a little something about yourself, especially so you can give someone something to start a conversation with.
When answering the question prompts on your new profile, be specific. This is one of those times that the more details, the better. There are plenty of users out there who will be looking for the same thing as you, whether it’s a casual relationship, long-term relationship, or even just a connection.
The About Me section is another way for you to include more about yourself and give others some ideas of what you’re all about. Here you can include some of your hobbies and interests and showcase a little more of your personality. Insider tip: try to list hobbies that you can do with others, they might even be a great first date idea! Keep it relatable and humorous so that other singles get to see a part of your personality before you even start messaging. When choosing topics about yourself it’s important to keep in mind that it’s your first impression to someone and there are some things you might want to avoid mentioning, but don’t worry we’ve got you covered.
Some Topics to Avoid:
- “I’m not looking for any drama” – Avoid including what you don’t want, it’s better to just stick to what you do want. A topic like this should already be a given and it’s better to just avoid it IRL than write about.
- “Follow my IG” or “Add me on snap” – Having your socials in your Headline or About Me section is going to lead people to question your overall intentions. It’s easy to get the impression that you are just trying to gain clout and more followers, not exactly what we’re looking for here.
- Sarcasm – All for it, but not as funny when you have to tell someone that you are being sarcastic.
- Multiple rhetorical questions – How are you supposed to keep a conversation going, you know?
- TYPING IN ALL CAPS – Shhh… no need to yell at me!
- Being overly enthusiastic about the gym – We get it, you work out, but you probably like sitting on the couch as well. Try to include more than just one interest on your profile.
- If you’re triggering the “Are You Sure?” notification, you probably should rethink that line in your profile- I feel like this one is pretty self-explanatory.
For those of you who’ve done the work and want to take it a step further, you can always up your game by purchasing Tokens. They’ll boost your profile and help you really stand out from the crowd. They can be found on the app by clicking the lightning bolt icon on the Meet Me screen!
Having a stand-out profile is just one of the steps on your dating journey, but we’re here to help. Stay tuned for more profile advice, in the meantime, happy fishing!