First date jitters are no fun… and no joke! Recently, I put out a poll on our Instagram to see how common it was for people to get first date jitters before their big night and the results speak for themselves.
So fret not, you’re not the only one that gets nervous before your big night. Luckily, you’re in the right spot! Here are some things you can try before your first date to shake those jitters and nerves:
- Hit the gym – staying active and getting all the negative stress hormones out of your body before a first date is the perfect way to calm your nerves. And plus, who doesn’t want that pump before putting on your best outfit!
- Pop that cork – there’s no shame in needing to loosen up a bit before you go into the date. Have a glass of wine and unwind a little.
- Alexa, play my “get hyped” playlist – make your own concert and dance party while getting ready. Let the positive vibes flow and dance it out!
- Set your expectations as a connection – no matter what you’re looking for , whether it’s to make a friend, to find a serious relationship or something else completely different, let’s take it a step back first. Just think about it in the sense of making a connection. Live in the moment and don’t worry about where it might go.
- It’s their first date too! – Reminder, you aren’t the only one who gets nervous before a first date. Who knows what’s going on in their heads as they get ready to meet you.
- Breathe! – If you feel like your head is just spinning and you can’t get your mind off of it, try meditating and focusing on your breathing. It will help calm you down and give you more clarity over how you’re feeling.
- Talk it out – it’s always a good idea to let someone know when you are going out to meet someone new for the first time, but it can also help to just talk about everything you are feeling with them too. Chatting with a friend can help pump you up and set the tone for an epic night!
- Get comfortable – when you pick an outfit that you feel your best in, you’ll feel more in your element and have more confidence. Being comfortable in your clothing is the first step to setting the night up for success.
- What’s the plan?! – If you’re anything like me and overthink every single outcome, I find it’s really helpful to know exactly where you’re going, what you’re doing, and how you’re getting there and back. I always map out the area the dates in, what trains to take, or where to park. My best dating hack: look at the menu beforehand so you’re not flustered when trying to decide on a meal. I always get a little panicked if the server and my date has to wait for me to decide.
- Keep busy!– Go for a hot girl walk! Go run some errands at the grocery store or just pick up some snacks for after, because why not??
- Spa trip – there really isn’t anything more relaxing than going to a salon or spa and treating yourself before a big night.
There are plenty of ways to curb those nerves and create a more comfortable experience for you and your date. No need to bite your nails and bounce your leg uncontrollably anymore, use these tips and calm your mind. After all, it’s only a first date and what’s meant to be, will be!