Holiday lights, snowflakes, mistletoe, fireplaces. How can one not feel romantic in the wintertime? Forget the alluring draws of hibernation after a sizzling summer of love, and instead keep the dating momentum going throughout the colder months. Online dating is a year round activity and your soul mate is still out there, waiting to meet you.
Why would you stop now? Especially when there are more excuses to cuddle in winter! Get close under an umbrella and snuggle against the chill. Walk arm in arm down a blustery street and hold gloved hands on the ice rink. People are naturally drawn to one another when it’s cold out.
But what do you do for a first (or second) date when the beaches are closed and the patios are shuttered? Get creative and get out of the coffee shops and bars with some of the ideas below!
1. Christmas market: With a mug of hot cider or mulled wine in hand, stroll through artisan booths selling their holiday wares.
2. Museums and art galleries: Culture gets the creative juices flowing and strikes up intelligent conversations.
3. Dessert: Chocolate always tastes better in the winter. Go on a mission to find the best chocolate cake in town and wash it down with a glass of red wine.
4. Hot tub party: Sometimes the only way to truly warm up from the winter frost is in a hot tub. If you’re lucky enough to have access to a Jacuzzi, turn winter into summer with a couple icy cold drinks and next to nothing clothing.
5. Ice skating: When she falls, you’ll be there to catch her. Hold hands as you glide around the rink.
6. Sledding: This winter activity will always elicit laughter and make for memories to reminisce on years later. Added bonus: you’ll have to hold tightly to each other as you zoom down the hill.
7. Park stroll: A walk through the park isn’t just for fair weather. When the snow comes or while the leaves are still piled on the ground, a chilly wander while sipping hot chocolate is a great way to start talking.
8. Bookstores: What better way to get to know someone than to discover what books they love to read. Have your date recommend new titles and share favourite authors.
9. Make art: Most cities have a place one can go to paint up a storm. Create works of art together.
10. Build a snowman: If you live somewhere with blankets of snow, take advantage of it by bringing a snowman to life. Don’t forget carrots, buttons and an old hat.