First date experiences can be stressful. And, in the age of the tech, when you can meet tons of people online, going for a blind date can cause some anxiety.
Let’s take a step back here and find out what dating anxiety really is. The essence of anxiety is explained by the fact that people tend to get nervous when they can’t predict what’s going to happen next. In some cases, we even begin to feel fear because of the unknown and its potential impact on us.
In these situations, our breathing rate increases, which, in turn, leads to a strong sense of apprehension. In addition to these symptoms, we also experience a great deal of physical manifestations of the condition, including tension, sweating, increased heart rate, and chest pain.
One of the biggest reasons why we experience anxiety before meeting someone new, is our natural desire to be liked, well-received, and accepted. Since we realize that we control everything and there will be people who won’t like us, we experience this physical and mental state.
As a result, we feel uncomfortable and maybe even a little bit awkward, say things we don’t want to say, and behave in ways we wouldn’t under different circumstances.
Luckily, there are some effective ways to unwind before a date and feel more relaxed and at ease.
1. Try Mindful Meditation
Mindfulness has been trending for the last couple years now. It is a state of mind of being conscious or aware of what’s going on with your body, mind and your surroundings in this very moment. Mindfulness helps you realize, why you’re feeling a certain emotion or why a certain thought pops in your head.
So, if you’re feeling anxious before a date, try to meditate to achieve mindfulness. If you don’t know how to do it, there are some great apps that offer guided meditations, such as:
- Headspace: this 5-star app allows you to do daily meditations to achieve mindfulness. Starting with the Basics program, you can spend up to 5 minutes meditating, following your breath and trying to control your thoughts. There are also specific programs for reducing stress, helping you sleep better and dating advice to help you relax before the date.
- Calm: specially designed programs will help you relax and unwind before the date. You can try a 25-minute session to meditate and control your mind. There are also sleep stories to help reduce anxiety and have a good night’s sleep before the date.
- The Mindfulness App: by downloading this app you get access to various options for guided meditations to help you relax and understand yourself better.
By doing a short 5-minute meditation session will help you relax. Different breathing techniques will help you control your thoughts and feel less overwhelmed.
2. Listen to Music
The anxiety of starting a new relationship can be reduced by listening to some music. Reportedly, music helps reduce anxiety and stress levels by a whopping 65%. Music helps to re-channel your brain, bringing positive vibes.
When it comes to choosing a specific music genre, there are no rules or recommendations. If you want to get into a more calm and focused mood, you can listen to the soothing sounds of nature. And, if you want to get into more positive spirits, listen to your favorite songs.
3. Journal to Analyze
Journaling is an effective technique to analyze thoughts and understand your emotions better. Professionals at the University of Rochester name the following benefits of keeping a journal:
- It helps you manage your emotions, keep track of your thoughts and analyze, what causes them;
- Keeping a journal helps you prioritize your fears and concerns. When it comes to dating, this will help you better understand what makes you feel concerned.
- Journaling is also an opportunity to manage your negative thoughts, get rid of them and enable positive attitude.
- Having a journal is a way to see things from a different perspective. You can give yourself dating advice, talk about your impressions and see things more objectively.
What else can you do?
You can do one of the things mentioned above right before going on a date. They will help you unwind and maintain a positive attitude. Also, it’s good to have a soothing bath with essential oils to both keep your spirits up and pamper yourself.
You can also do some exercises. Physical activity is proven to be very helpful when it comes to battling anxiety. As your body feels with oxygen, you become more focused and less stressed.
If you often get anxious before going on a date, try following each of these tips every time you feel stressed. This way you’ll be able to find the best method that works for you. Good luck!
Contributed by Kristin Savage a reviewer at Pick Writers. You can find her on Facebook and Twitter.