Picture this: You’re sitting down together in a cute cafe, the server has just taken your drink orders as you settle into your booth together, you look her in the eyes (you like her a lot already), and THIS is the moment to start a great first date conversation…but you’re drawing a blank.
Even for those of us who are chatty Cathy’s in everyday life, it’s surprisingly easy to forget how to get a good conversation going. You may be a bit nervous or intimidated, and that’s OK! To ensure you don’t default to the weather or sports teams, or heaven forbid, diving right into religion and or politics, here are our 10 easy conversations starters for singles:
- Tell me about your dog/cat/pet I know it sounds kind of cliche, but people light up when it comes to their furry children. You shouldn’t expect to get a word in edgewise though!
- Where is your favourite place to travel? This is a quick way to get someone to open up to you and share some of their most adventurous moments. Once you get on this topic, the sky’s the limit – maybe you’ve been to some of the same places, or maybe you have a similar travel bucket list!
- What are you currently obsessing over? This could be anything – could be a new tech gadget, could be a new niece!
- What are you excited about? A positive, open-ended question. You never know where it could lead!
- What do you like to do on the weekends? If nothing else, this is a great way to learn about what someone does with their down time and if you share any common interests.
- Have you read any good books lately? If they have not read a book in a good long time…that’s a dealbreaker, ladies.
- Do you have any guilty pleasures? Spoiler alert: everybody does.
- Are you taking any classes or learning anything new right now? Another opportunity to find some common ground.
- Do you have any weird hidden talents? This could come in handy one day.
- What are you watching on Netflix right now? Stranger Things? The Fall? The OA? Black Mirror? Everyone’s got something lined up for those quiet nights!
What are your favourite conversation starters for first dates? Feel free to share in the comments below!