So you’re creating your Plenty of Fish account and you’ve arrived at the stage where you can enter your hobbies and interests. What interests should you include? How specific should they be? Will certain interests make you more desirable? These are all valid questions, and the answers are two-fold.
We always want you to be yourself on your profile, unique interests and all, so the more specific you are the better. Unfortunately, no single interest is going to make you more desirable to everyone, but if your interests include things like Disney, Crossfit, snowboarding, yoga, or Game of Thrones, you’re in luck! You may be more likely to leave POF in a relationship.
Don’t believe us? Check out these results!
The Plenty of Fish research team analyzed over 7 million user profiles specifically looking at their likelihood to receive/send messages, and if they were leaving the site in a relationship based on the interests they listed on their profiles.
- POF users who list Disney as an interest on their dating profile (as opposed to a more common interest like music/movies) are 43% more likely to leave the site in a relationship
- Female Disney lovers are 25% more likely to receive a message on POF vs. women who listed more common interests
- Male Disney lovers are 11% more likely to receive a message on POF vs. men who listed more common interests
Love snow sports?
- Singles who have a mutual interest in snowboarding are 12 times more likely to leave POF in a relationship
Love being active?
- Singles who have a mutual interest in yoga are 3.6 times more likely to leave POF in a relationship
- Men who list yoga as an interest on their dating profile are 20% more likely to receive a message on POF
- Women with Crossfit as an interest are 28% more likely to receive a message on POF
- Men with Crossfit as an interest are 14% more likely to receive a message on POF
What about TV shows?
- Women who have Game of Thrones as an interest on their profile are 22% more likely to receive a message
Don’t have any of these things listed as an interest? Have no fear!
Interests such as antiquing, stamping, and Nascar receive a high female to men reply rate, and interests such as Astrology and Cosmology receive a high male to female reply rate.
So what does this teach us?
Well, beyond it being great to see obscure interests leading to love, it also proves that shying away from your real interests is not the right approach. Lean into what you love, no matter how strange you think it may be! Chances are, there’s someone out there just waiting to bond over your favourite hobby.