With Mothers Day coming up this Sunday (May 10 – mark your calendars!), we wanted to learn more about some special women that are worth celebrating every day of the year: single moms!
We surveyed our database of single mothers on PlentyOfFish – a whopping 44% of our female users – for more information on their approach to love, how they use online dating, and what they’re looking for in their perfect match.
Some interesting facts about PlentyOfFish’s strong, savvy, and successful single mothers:
1. Eyes on the prize. Single moms are signing up in search of results – and getting them. 43% of survey respondents said they started dating online after hearing success stories. And, according to PlentyOfFish’s study, single moms find a partner 10% faster than the average user.
2. Kids come first. It comes as no surprise that kids are these moms’ top priority. In fact, 63% of moms said they’d consider their child’s disapproval of a potential partner as a major red flag.
3. Motherhood = full time job. Being a mom is no easy task. Between kids, work, and having a social life, single moms have their hands full. As such, single mothers report using online dating whenever they can spare a second of their precious time – whether that’s first thing in the morning, during the day while their children are at work, or once they put their kids to bed.
4. Ms. Independent. Despite being focused on their kids, single moms should not be mistaken for weaklings. The top two most common misconceptions about single moms as reported by our respondents: 1. She’s just looking for a father figure for her kids 2. She’s a damsel in distress who needs to be saved.
5. Birds of a feather. Like many online daters, single mothers are looking for partners they can relate to. Accordingly, they are 3.4 times more likely to date a single father than childless women are. In contrast, single moms are half as likely to date childless men as women with no children are.
6. Howdy, partner. In their love lives, single moms value partnership above all. Over 56% of those surveyed listed ‘partnership’ as what they were looking for in a match. ‘Romance’ and ‘fun’ came in second and third place respectively, with ‘financial support’ ranking the lowest.
Do you have #PlentyOfLove4Mom? We’re holding a contest dedicated to the all the amazing mothers out there. Show some appreciation for your mom and you could win $500. For all the info: http://bit.ly/1QQvUJG